Question about vfs_acl_common not setting filesystem permissions anymore

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Tue Aug 30 03:38:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 05:22:15PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 09:17:13AM +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 05:45:54PM +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> > > Patch attached, it depends on the other acl_xattr|tdb patch. Please
> > > review & comment. I'm still pondering the idea of forcing "store dos
> > > attributes = yes" instead of the map xxx stuff.
> >
> > sorry, wrong version, didn't build (new DEBUG macro call with a
> > surplus closing parenthesis). Correct one attached.
>
> If you're setting:
>
> map archive = no
> map hidden = no
> map readonly = no
> map system = no
>
> Aren't you also going to need to set:
>
> store dos attributes = yes
>
> be default too ?

that's why I was asking. :)

But my understanding is, while it would make perfect sense to set it
(which would also render it needless to set the map xxx stuff to no in
the first place), it may be a valid combination to set

map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = no

Doesn't make sense, but someone out there might be using it for some
strange reason.

Having said that, I would actually favor to set "store dos attributes
= yes" instead, as it makes a lot of sense, just don't want to break
any exising setup with this change.

Cheerio!
-slow