ntlmssp errors against El Capitan's SMB Server

Christian Ambach ambi at samba.org
Tue Aug 16 09:28:07 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I was trying to use smbclient against the SMB server included in MacOS X
El Capitan, but it fails to authenticate with
> NTLMSSP packet check failed due to short signature (0 bytes)!
> NTLMSSP NTLM2 packet check failed due to invalid signature!

I am not a NTLMSSP expert, but looking at the attached capture it seems
that Apple's SMB server does not provide a signature when asked to do so
with the NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN flag.
I suspect that this is another side-effect of the badlock hardenings?

Is there a config variable available to work around this?
Can we detect that the server does not support the flag and not use it?

Cheers,
Christian