Execute bit on files confusion

auntyspam at arcor.de auntyspam at arcor.de
Wed Aug 10 11:40:51 UTC 2016

With Samba 4.0 the execution bit on shares matter.
After upgrade many of our processes became broken because users couldn't run batch files anymore from the production shares.
Luckily we  found the    acl allow execute always = true   option to revert to the previous behavior.
To me it is a bit paranoid introducing a security feature which I would not have if I was  on a native windows share.
On the contrary, I see it as a security feature that for example .bat files are NOT executable on linux  but can be run on windows.
The new policy even introduces the strange phenomenon that a .bat file which I can run on windows doesn't run when I store it on a samba 4 share but runs again if I copy it to a windows share or back to my machine.

Peter