autobuild failure due to python replication tests - why ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 2 23:37:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 05:13:34PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 19:47 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:32:03PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > >
> > > Then the replication tests and ctdb tests NEED TO BE REMOVED NOW !
> >
> > Apologies. Error EIAMTOOMUCHOFANASSHOLE :-).
> >
> > That was a little too strong. However I hope you understand
> > my frustrations with this, we really do need to get a fix
> > for this sooner (this week ?) rather than later. This week
> > please ?
> >
> > In the meantime I'll resubmit, but that can't be the long
> > term solution.
>
> I'm running tests to see if
> reverting 055544321389de5d5cea8e129e0923369e9f558b or
> e0b6d6bb10479759905932ea5438fc57713f0a8f helps, as this got much worse
> just as we forked for 4.5, which is where this commit was.
>
> It may simply be that we don't correctly notice the new schema, or the
> need for new schema to replicate schema.

Unfortunately the autobuild failed again. That's 3 times in a row.
I'm sorry but these replication tests have completely broken
development on Samba, and we can't continue with this.

Here is the error message:

[1942(15547)/1951 at 3h13m59s] samba4.blackbox.samba_tool_demote(vampire_dc)
Using localdc as partner server for the demotion
Deactivating inbound replication
Asking partner server localdc to synchronize from us
Error while replicating out last local changes from 'CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com' for demotion, re-enabling
+inbound replication
ERROR(<type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>): Error while sending a DsReplicaSync for partition 'CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=exa
+mple,DC=com' - (-1073741643, '{Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expire
+d.')
  File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 786, in run
    drsuapiBind.DsReplicaSync(drsuapi_handle, 1, req1)
UNEXPECTED(failure): samba4.blackbox.samba_tool_demote(vampire_dc).demote(vampire_dc)
REASON: Exception: Exception: No reason specified

FAILED (1 failures, 0 errors and 0 unexpected successes in 0 testsuites)

I didn't get any more useful info that I understood out of the
https://git.samba.org/jra/samba-autobuild/samba.stderr
sorry.

It's getting a little late here but I'm planning
to just carve out any of the tests that have failed and
try and get something reviewed that will re-enable pushing
code changes through autobuild again.

Sorry Andrew, but this is just the modern equivalent of
breaking the build, and we can't live with this disruption
anymore :-(.