Windows 2000 support

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Tue Apr 12 15:03:59 UTC 2016

> as Andrew asked you previously, the main question is : do you have some
> specific requirements for keeping a DC on that computer (eg. Exchange or
> whatever)?
>
> If you don't need to keep the DC role on that computer, the best path
> would be for you to
> * join up a temporary win2k3 DC,
> * demote the win2k DC to member server
> * clean up the DNS zone as per
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817470
> * upgrade domain/forest level to 2k3
> * join a Samba4 DC
> * demote the win2k3 DC
> * clean up all the leftover dns entries / ntdsdsa / computers objects
>
> I've done it a few times. That way you keep you custom applications on
> your win2k machine, and get a shiny brand new samba4 AD domain. However,
> if you have a requierement for having DC role on that specific machine...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis
> --
> Denis Cardon

Thank you for the details. I will save this information as we may have
to do this some day.

We are not running exchange or any such thing.  The only reason for
keeping the DC role on that computer is that it is the only Windows
server that we have and it seems that moving the DC role directly to
Samba is not going to work.

Awhile back I started to look into buying a copy of win2k3 but got bogged
down in the requirement to separately get enough licenses to cover the
number of client machines to receive services from a win2k3 server.
We have almost 100 desktop and laptop machines using the Windows 2000
Server as a DC.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com