Provision bug ????

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 11:11:17 UTC 2016

OK, whilst trying to write 'fsmo.py' yet again, taking into account that
there may not be any dns zones, I provisioned a new domain with this:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --use-xattrs=yes
--realm=SAMBA.TEST.TLD --domain=SAMBA --server-role=dc
--function-level=2000 --adminpass=XXXXXXXXXX

When I checked with:

ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
"CN=Sites,CN=configuration,DC=samba,DC=test,DC=tld" -s sub
'(objectclass=nTDSDSA)'

Amongst the results, I found this:

msDS-Behavior-Version: 4

I sort of expected it not to be there, or set to '0'

so I ran:

root at dc2000a:~# samba-tool domain level show
Domain and forest function level for domain 'DC=samba,DC=test,DC=tld'

Forest function level: (Windows) 2000
Domain function level: (Windows) 2000
Lowest function level of a DC: (Windows) 2008 R2

OK, how can the only DC in a domain have a lowest function level that is
higher than the domain or forest level ?? or am I missing something ?

Rowland