smbclient error when ls against win10 share

Thomas Dvorachek tdvorachek at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 10:12:27 UTC 2016

Yep - zip of two pcapng files attached.

Trace shows what i saw when i added a bunch of debug outputs to source: in "find_first2 data" smb response, whenever the "Reserved" value immediately after "Short file name len" is not zero, smbclient pops the cli_list error 260 (we're hitting the "Bad short name length" test of slen greater than 24 in source.)

In traces: both doing `ls` from "Windows" directory; one error trace due to "addins" directory entry having "1f" in Reserved field, one error trace due to "Boot" directory entry having "12" in Reserved field.

Could be my win10 device is responding with bad packet structure, or something might be misaligned in smbclient processing the response packet fields.
BTW: no errors when i use a windows device to `net use x: \\IP-addr\c$`, `x:`, `cd Windows`, `dir` ... cmd.exe outputs listing ok.
Thx.