Really interesting software engineering page.

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed Sep 30 20:49:10 UTC 2015

On 09/25/2015 10:53 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> How the Chrome browser gets built:
>
> https://medium.com/@aboodman/in-march-2011-i-drafted-an-article-explaining-how-the-team-responsible-for-google-chrome-ships-c479ba623a1b
>
> Lots of lessons for Samba here I think !
>
> Jeremy.

I would love that you spell them out.

The end article says:
" In short: no branches, runtime switches, tons of automated testing,
relentless refactoring, and staying very close to HEAD of our dependencies."

I think we don't have branches (for the features), we have runtime
switches (in the config), we have a good share of testing (yes we can
improve this, especially on unit testing: what do you propose),
refactoring seems to be done (maybe not relentlessly but still ...) and
we do an ok job to stay close to HEAD of our dependencies (but we could
be more aggressive).

One thing that we should really improve is having real unit tests, and
improve the speed of make test, Jelmer and I did some bit of work on the
later part but not much progress yet.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou