Patch: Fixed patch for moving RSVD/SHVXD to vfs_default

Uri Simchoni urisimchoni at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:41:23 UTC 2015

One difference that I see from ioctls, is that an ioctl says "I'm
providing this well-defined service. You don't like it? Go somewhere
else!". Whereas with samba we strive to serve the whims of all clients
and SMB versions.
A kernel ioctl handler doesn't have to ask "who's my client" - it has
for example one ioctl code for 32 bits and one for 64 bits, and the
ioctl code defines what to do. Do we have the same guarantees with
create contexts? Are they sufficiently stable and/or self-describing?
Having to ask "who's the client" from inside a VFS module, as the
protocols evolve and more implementations arrive, is one place where
the layer separation breaks.