New PR: client-timeout - Client timeout

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:29:57 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 3:23 PM,  <github at samba.org> wrote:
>> There is a new pull request by Gazzonyx against master on the Samba Github repository
>>
>> https://github.com/Gazzonyx/samba client-timeout
>> https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/9
>>
>> Client timeout
>> Fix client socket timeout to be consistent between source3 and source4.  This changes source4's socket timeout from 15 seconds to the old source3 value of 30 seconds.
>>
>> Could I get two Team members to sign off on this, please?
>>
>> A patch file from https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/9.patch is attached
>
> Hmmm, I posted a patch last week that allows this value to be set from
> an environment variable.
>
> I would probably prefer to see that patch merged here as well.
>
> Also, since Windows defaults to 60 seconds and that timeout is used
> for more than the connection timeout, why did you chose 30 seconds?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Sharpe
> (何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)

Richard,
You got me. :)  I saw that patch and noticed the hard coded time out
and thought I had taken care of that a long time ago.  Then I kind of
wondered how the Github workflow would work with parallel work that's
not being merged from GH. ;)

I chose 30 seconds since that's what the Samba3 socket time out has
been for years.  If Windows uses 60 seconds, that'd be more
appropriate I guess.  I can respin if that's the route we want to go.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.