Progress on GitHub and alternatives

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 13 22:37:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-09-13 at 16:15 -0500, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> wrote:

> > > Depending on the feedback, I'll enable mails to samba-technical
> > > in a
> > > day or two, and then my plan, again depending on feedback it to
> > > announce on samba-announce that we are now accepting pull
> > > requests on
> > > github.
> > >
> > > The need to send in a Developers Certificate of Origin (if
> > > working
> > > for
> > > a company) and to add signed-off-by lines will still apply.
> > >
> > > We should also update our README file, as this is what github
> > > users
> > > see
> > > first.
> >
> > I've now pointed the script at samba-technical.  New pull requests
> > will
> > mail our list here.
> >
> > I've chosen to use only my updated gh-mailinglist-notifications
> > script,
> > not the one that uses git-send-email, as our preference is for
> > attached
> > patches, not one-patch-per-mail.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> I submitted a patch through GH this morning; other than my usual
> issues with git (I'll not start that rant here and now if only to
> keep
> things civil), it worked flawlessly and the comment that I posted
> came
> through without issue as well.  Well done!

Well, those mails were delivered to me and you, but sadly not the list.
 I forgot to change the list over, but that should be fixed now.

> I do, however, have a question regarding workflow; I assume non-Team
> contributors still need 2 Team member sign offs.  Is there a way to
> make this clear on GH that all pull requests will remain pending
> until
> they have two sign offs without a NACK?  Also, how is the
> "reviewed-by" system working?  I'm thinking the easiest way would be
> in the comment section of the pull request (it'll go to the mailing
> list for archival), but that would require nearly all Samba team
> members to have a GH login and troll the pull request queue which
> isn't completely unreasonable, but it is Yet Another Process that
> drags down productivity.

This is where things break down a little.  The alternative script I had
would write a note into the issue saying that discussion continues on
samba-technical.  I've not ported that into the script we run, but we
may have to.  We also don't CC the person who opened the pull request,
or note their e-mail (if set to public), so they don't see any non
-github followup, and a reply-to would probably be a really good idea.

A helpful thing you could do would be simply to rewrite our README
file.  In particular it needs a section at the top on how to contribute
from github.  (The README is essentially the home page for a github
project).

> I'm almost of mind to say that someone should curate if the stream of
> commits from GH becomes steady.  I would volunteer to do this, but
> I'm
> afraid I don't have a deep enough knowledge of all the various layers
> of Samba to be of much use in picking out and prioritizing the pull
> queue.
>
> Most likely I'll have more feedback as we go through merging my pull
> request, but so far it's been relatively seamless and slightly easier
> than git-format-patch/git-email-patch for a simple git feature
> branch.

This will indeed be an iterative process, as we learn more about how it
works out.

Thanks for giving it a try!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba