Patch: Fixed patch for moving RSVD/SHVXD to vfs_default

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Sep 11 20:48:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:42:14PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:

> > OK, so I disagree on this being a layering violation.
> >
> > VFS modules need to get access to the create context
> > data,
>
> Those create contexts are SMB specific. Period.
>
> Hence the VFS layer (which corresponds to the NT File
> System or below - posix) does not know about them.
>
> Some of them may have a corresponding flag or similar
> further down in the vfs layer, but not in this generality.
> This is my understanding/concern.
>
> Starting with Samba 4.0, Metze and I specifically have been
> trying to work towards a better layering in the vfs, ripping
> several SMB specific things out of the VFS layer (fsp and
> friends), and this change just goes back into the opposite
> direction.
>
> > and they're already being passed to VFS_CREATE
> > (initially for vfs_fruit).
>
> Yeah, that was the precedent, where this
> layering violation was introduced. It just
> slipped my attention. See mails further up in
> this thread.

The problem is the VFS layer *does* need to know
about some of the elements in the create contexts.

For example, when the POSIX create context is added
that will need to be passed down.

Maybe we should have an an-person meeting when we're
together at SNIA to decide how we want this to look
eventually, because right now I don't see a better
way of doing this unless we explicitly add a 'shadow'
definition of the contexts we need lower VFS layers
to know about. And will we get them all ?