Progress on GitHub and alternatives

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 9 23:27:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 12:48 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 12:35 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > Great work Andrew, thanks for doing this !
> >
> > I have both scripts up and running.  What I need now is some
> > feedback
> > from you and the rest of the community.
> >
> > I need to know which of the scripts (or both) to run long term.
> >  Look
> > here:
> >
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/testlist/2015-September/thread.html
> >
> > and tell me what you like, and what you don't.  If you want to see
> > the
> > actual mail output, the subscription page is here:

> > I also need folks to push their own patches to github, make pull
> > requests and comment on the workflow.
> >
> > Currently, the service running git-format-patch (pull-request
> > -mailer)
> > *will* automatically CC mails to those listed as From and Signed
> > -off
> > -by
> > in patches in pull requests.  Let me know if that would be an
> > issue.
> >
> > The other script, gh-mailinglist-notifications attaches the patches

> > just one mail, which I understand may be a preference.
> >
> > Finally, we need to figure out how we will communicate back to the
> > author, as sadly replies to these mails won't make it back to
> > github.
> > Either a few of us become members of the project and get the direct
> > pull request mails as well (that can be replied to), or we can
> > leave
> > pull-request-mailer to write a message like this one
> > https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/7
>
> Depending on the feedback, I'll enable mails to samba-technical in a
> day or two, and then my plan, again depending on feedback it to
> announce on samba-announce that we are now accepting pull requests on
> github.
>
> The need to send in a Developers Certificate of Origin (if working
> for
> a company) and to add signed-off-by lines will still apply.
>
> We should also update our README file, as this is what github users
> see
> first.

I've now pointed the script at samba-technical.  New pull requests will
mail our list here.

I've chosen to use only my updated gh-mailinglist-notifications script,
not the one that uses git-send-email, as our preference is for attached
patches, not one-patch-per-mail.

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba