Query regarding samba working as domain controller

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:12:22 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 15:52, Anoop Singh wrote:
> Hi Learned Members,
>
> I have a two small queries regarding samba working as domain controller.
>
> 1.       Do we need to assign static ip in /etc/network/interfaces to configure samba as domain controller? Can't it be dhcp acquired IP? Can we assign 127.0.01 and still it work?

You can run your AD DC with an IP address obtained via DHCP, but it is
not recommended, your clients need to find the DC easily and should
therefore have a fixed IP. If you mean 127.0.0.1 instead of 127.0.01,
please don't even think of using this, it is reserved for 'localhost' ,
don't use anything starting with '127'

> 2.       When samba is configured as domain controller, we run samba instead of smbd. In this case can we achieve samba file share along with domain controller configuration as file share needs smbd to run?

You start the 'samba' daemon, but this in turn starts the 'smbd' daemon
and depending on what version of Samba 4 you use, it either uses the
'winbind' built into the 'samba' daemon or (from 4.2.0) it will start
the separate 'winbindd' daemon.

> When I connect samba to windows active directory, I can achieve samba file share also as in this case smbd runs and not samba.

The 'smbd' daemon is run on all versions of Samba 4, unless you are not
running as an AD DC and you choose not to start it. If you are running
Samba 4 as an AD DC, you can use it as a fileserver, but this not
recommended.

Rowland