Progress on GitHub and alternatives

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 4 06:12:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 17:28 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> For the past while it has concerned me that we need a better review
> system and that we should have a mirror and be accepting
> contributions
> via github.
>
> To be clear, github isn't really a review system, but it has a
> massive
> user community that we want to try to better connect with.
>
> The plan is to make every github pull request turn into a mail on the
> mailing list, so that we keep our mailing-list based workflow.

> The URL for the official Samba Team repo is:
> https://github.com/samba-team/samba

I've done this now, and we have some test notification scripts sending mail to testlist.
You can see how this looks at https://lists.samba.org/archive/testlist/2015-September/thread.html
It needs a lot of work to be really nice, but it is a start.  Pull
request on https://github.com/abartlet/gh-mailinglist-notifications are
very, very welcome.
I'm also trying to get another tool working:
https://github.com/abartlet/pull-request-mailer
This will post patches to the list, but for now it times out trying to
clone the samba repo, so needs some love.
Thanks,
Andrew Bartlett--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/