RHEL6 blocking Python 2.7 and 3.x

Simo simo at samba.org
Wed Sep 2 22:24:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 09:37 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 09:50 +0200, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
> > On (02/09/15 09:56), Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > Can you prepare such a patch.  If accepted this may also give us
> > > the
> > > excuse to move to Python 2.7 as a minimum as well (presuming that
> > > doesn't cause other problems).
> > >
> > CentOS 6 has just Python 2.6
> > So some users might complain they are not able to build samba on
> > CentOS 6.
>
> This will indeed be a major impediment to our move to Python3.
>
> Ouch.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

This was clear and obvious.
Samba has no option but to support both python2 and python3 for a t
lest a few years. You can't just make a clean cut and switch, it simply
is not going to work for at least half of the users.

distributions also need to be able to provide modules for both python2
and python3 at the same time, or it will be really hard to make any
transition with the wide set of interlocked dependencies.