[RFC]: VFS open return NTSTATUS (was:Add vfs_admin vfs module)

Thu Oct 29 15:54:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 07:32:44AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Uri Simchoni <uri at samba.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've spent some time trying to change the interface of VFS POSIX open
> > (open_fn). The change is that instead of returning a created file
> > descriptor, it now sets the file descriptor in the FSP and returns an
> > ntstatus.This can serve as a POC for a migration for all VFS methods to
> > return NTSTATUS.
>
> One more comment here is that being able to return NTSTATUS from VFS
> functions means that we have access to the full range of Windows error
> codes, not that poor Unix substitute.

I'm not sure about the poverty of the unix errno. SHARING_VIOLATION
might be conveyed by TXTBUSY for example. Wherever I see NTSTATUS these
days I try to find ways to convert that back to errno, if only for the
reason to reduce dependencies.

Just my 2ct.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de

Besuchen Sie uns vom 10.-11.11.15 auf der ISSE!
Information Security Solutions Europe Conference
Hotel Palace Berlin, 20%-Rabattcode: "ISSE15SP"

Meet us at Information Security Conference ISSE!
November 10th - 11th 2015 in Hotel Palace Berlin
For 20% discount take voucher code:  "ISSE15SP"