OSX Spotlight cannot work correctly with Samba 4.3.1

Ralph Boehme rb at sernet.de
Thu Oct 29 09:10:03 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:33:57AM +0800, HC Sung wrote:
> ​​Hello list,
>
> I recently built Samba 4.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04(x64) with Spotlight enabled
> and I am pretty sure that every step in this page
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight has been done carefully, but
> Spotlight shows no detail information about my target (as shown in
> attachment).
>
> By the way, shared folders will be mounted at "/Volume", where seems not to
> be indexed by Spotlight, if you mount it with Finder. So I mount the SMB
> shared folder with the following command:
>
> "mount_smbfs //guest at some_ip/remote_folder_name /Users/local_folder_name"
>
> Does anyone's Spotlight can perfectly work with Samba 4.3.1?

yes, it can. I've written the Samba Spotlight module and I'm currently
working on an unrelated issue. In the process I've verified that it
works just fine, given the setup is correct.

Following the wiki should get you there, but there's one point that is
probably not precise enough: you have to start all needed tracker
daemons (tracker-store, tracker-miner-fs, tracker-extract,
tracker-writeback, in that order).

Hth!
-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de