samba-tool ldapcmp hangs when too much objects in Samba database

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:17:55 UTC 2015

Hi all,

samba-tool ldapcmp always hangs when database contains too much object.
This happened to me only when checking "domain" using that tool, most
certainly because I have very few objects in others contexts.

The limit seems to be around 40 000 objects. That limit was defined by
running samba-tool ldapcmp on a new domain on which I pushed users by
bunches of 500 users, until the command refuse to finish successfully.

As a workaround an option is to avoid containers with more than a certain
amount of object, with this amount less than 40 000, then to proceed with
ldapcmp on each container declared in AD with a scope equal to "one", to
not check this containers recursively.

The main bad point of this workaround is time needed to compare the whole
tree. This tool is already needing an amount of time relatively important
to succeed, I don't expect launching it once on each AD container to be
something which would accelerate that process.

I fully understand that kind of issue only happen for big company which
have enough objects to include in AD and I totally agree that kind of
company which is big enough can raise funds to help open source software to
be developed when they need some improvement.
So I asked the company I'm working for to raise funds and they are
discussing internally for months now about that funds raising, things are
going further, but very slowly.

So the question is the following: did someone have noticed such an issue
and/or did someone have an idea on how to improve that?

Thanks and regards,

mathias