[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Tue Oct 27 08:53:51 UTC 2015

Am 27.10.2015 um 08:09 schrieb Volker Lendecke:

> By default that's the only one, right. We have
> dbwrap_tdb_mutexes:* = true
> to enable the much faster mutex for all tdbs. You can
> replace the "*" with for example "locking.tdb" to enable
> mutexes only for individual tdb files.

Thank you.

> What I don't get however: Why do you want to backup those
> tdbs? They are created with CLEAR_IF_FIRST, meaning they are
> wiped when Samba starts anyway.

Seems I don't know, what I'm doing here, right? I want to avoid corrupt
dbs. From

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/tdb.html:

Those who package Samba for commercial distribution with operating
systems and appliances would do well to take note that tdb files can get
corrupted, and for this reason ought to be backed up regularly. An
appropriate time is at system shutdown (backup) and startup (restore
from backup).
[...]
It is recommended to backup all tdb files as part of the Samba start-up
scripts on a Samba server.

This is, what I'm doing.

But the HowTo is too old, no gencache_notrans.tdb and other new tdbs in
it. And I cannot find an information, which databases are created with
CLEAR_IF_FIRST. That's why I backup all tdbs in

/etc
/run/lock/samba

after wiping not persistent ones.

If I should not clean gencache.tdb on start, this seams to be an tdb,
which is not created with CLEAR_IF_FIRST.

I've had trouble with this in the past. At some version change printer
driver informations are gone from the printing directory to registry.tdb
and I wiped registry.tdb ;-)

--
der tom