[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:26:17 UTC 2015

On 26/10/15 19:08, Thomas Bork wrote:
> Am 26.10.2015 um 17:21 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>
>> No, it is the version of *your* Samba package, most of, if not all,
>> other distros, use the actual Samba version.
>
> This is the numbering system of eisfair.
>
>> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong there (well to my eyes anyway)
>> except possibly, because you have turned off syslog and if smbd isn't
>> running, there may not be anywhere to log, so it logs to screen.
>
> Ok, but this is no problem for me.
>
>> What is the case for your distro? I mean why does it exist, what niche
>> does it fill? What I am trying to get at, your distro uses Samba4 very
>> much the same as S3, whilst there is nothing wrong with doing this,
>> microsoft seems to be working towards only working with AD Domains, in
>> which case, your distro could be left behind.
>
> eisfair was born from fli4l (http://www.fli4l.de/en/). The idea is the
> same:
>
> Use a very small system and configure every service with one tool and
> with one syntax.

Ah, it's a router distro.

> From http://www.eisfair.org/en/eisfair/the-eisfair-project/:
>
> [...]
> The available Linux or Unix applications features their well
> engineered state and stability during their usage on one side but on
> the other side they are all different in their installation procedures
> and of course their configuration. Every piece of software has it's
> own style. The applications for the eisfair server use always the same
> tool for their configuration. With this approach the effort on
> learning how to use the system is minimized.

Well, seeing as there are a few incorrect lines in your smb.conf
(serverstring for one, it should be 'server string'), I would say that
there is something wrong with your configuration tools :-)
As for not having to learn how to use the system, well words fail me,
what happens when something goes wrong??

Rowland