[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:21:13 UTC 2015

On 26/10/15 15:48, Thomas Bork wrote:
> Am 26.10.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>
>>> # Version of Samba for eisfair is 2.21.0.
>> My first thoughts were, no they cannot be using Samba2 and I was right,
>> they aren't. It seems that, unlike every other distro on the planet,
>> they have come up with their own numbering system.
>
> It is the version number of the Samba _package_.

No, it is the version of *your* Samba package, most of, if not all,
other distros, use the actual Samba version.

> [...]
> in the wild yet.
>
> I could imagine that the problem is the VIRT-Kernel on testeis. The
> build kernel is not VIRT. Changing against PAE:
>
> testeis # rm /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb.samba.bak
> testeis # /usr/bin/tdbbackup -s .samba.bak
> /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
> tdb_mutex_open_ok[/run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb]: Can use
> mutexes only with MUTEX_LOCKING or NOLOCK
> Failed to open /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
> testeis # uname -a
> Linux testeis 3.2.71-eisfair-1-PAE #1 SMP Tue Oct 13 22:58:21 CEST
> 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> testeis # /usr/bin/tdbbackup -l -s .samba.bak
> /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
>
> Then maybe the slightly older kernel version on the build host:
> deveisneu # uname -a
> Linux deveisneu 3.2.67-eisfair-1-PAE #1 SMP Tue May 19 19:30:40 CEST
> 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>> Can you please post just how you are compiling and creating your samba
>> package?
>
> export CFLAGS='-O2 -march=i486 -fomit-frame-pointer'
> export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> ./configure \
> --target=i486-pc-linux-gnu \
> --enable-fhs \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --bindir=/usr/bin \
> --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
> --sysconfdir=/etc \
> --libdir=/usr/lib/samba \
> --with-modulesdir=/usr/lib/samba \
> --with-privatelibdir=/usr/lib/samba \
> --with-privatedir=/etc \
> --with-lockdir=/run/lock/samba \
> --with-cachedir=/run/lock/samba \
> --with-statedir=/run/lock/samba \
> --with-piddir=/run \
> --with-configdir=/etc \
> --with-logfilebase=/var/log \
> --localstatedir=/var \
> --with-sendfile-support \
> --without-ads \
> --without-ldap \
> --disable-cups \
> --disable-iprint \
> --with-utmp \
> --with-quotas \
> --with-pam \
> --with-pam_smbpass \
> --with-acl-support \
> --with-privileged-socket-dir=/run/samba \
> --with-aio-support \
> --without-dnsupdate \
> --without-syslog \
> --without-automount \
> --without-cluster-support \
> --disable-glusterfs \
> --without-ad-dc \
> --datarootdir=/usr/lib
>
> make -j2
>
> sambaver=samba-4.3.1
> make DESTDIR=/tmp/$sambaver install
> for a in /tmp/$sambaver/usr/bin/* \
>          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/* \
>          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/security/* \
>          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/vfs/* \
>          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/sbin/*
> do
>     strip -R .comment -R .note $a
> done
>
> And then I'm packing it with the rest (scripts etc).

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong there (well to my eyes anyway)
except possibly, because you have turned off syslog and if smbd isn't
running, there may not be anywhere to log, so it logs to screen.

What is the case for your distro? I mean why does it exist, what niche
does it fill? What I am trying to get at, your distro uses Samba4 very
much the same as S3, whilst there is nothing wrong with doing this,
microsoft seems to be working towards only working with AD Domains, in
which case, your distro could be left behind.

Rowland