[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:59:05 UTC 2015

On 26/10/15 07:44, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 07:01:49PM +0100, Thomas Bork wrote:
>> Am 23.10.2015 um 21:53 schrieb Jeremy Allison:
>>
>>> Now it's been re-initialized correctly you probably don't need to
>>> delete it on restart.
>> It is re-initialized correctly if it not exist on the first start
>> only. On the second start the error is back. Maybe a bug?
>>
>> testeis # rm /var/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
>> testeis # /etc/init.d/samba start
>>   * Starting Samba ...
>>     - Starting nmbd ... [  OK  ]
>>     - Starting smbd ... [  OK  ]
>> testeis # /etc/init.d/samba stop
>>   * Stopping Samba ...
>>     - Stopping smbd ... [  OK  ]
>>     - Stopping nmbd ... [  OK  ]
>> testeis # /etc/init.d/samba start
>>   * Starting Samba ...
>> tdb_mutex_open_ok[/var/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb]: Can use
>> mutexes only with MUTEX_LOCKING or NOLOCK
>> Failed to open /var/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
> Which daemon does this message come from? Your scripts seem
> to start nmbd and smbd later. What daemon complains?
>
> You might try to run the script with "sh -x" to figure out
> in what daemon we get those error messages.
>
> Also, you should not delete gencache.tdb at startup. It
> contains the server affinity cache which would be lost if
> you deleted the whole file.

The OP was only carrying out instructions from Jeremy.
What nobody has asked yet is, what OS is he using, from the fact that he
has an init script that starts smbd & nmbd, I think he is using a debian
version. If so, it might help if he tried starting smbd & nmbd with
their individual init scripts.
It might also help if he posted just how he built Samba and his smb.conf

Rowland