build:wafsamba: dead code removal in gettext detection

github at samba.org github at samba.org
Sun Oct 25 10:04:31 UTC 2015

New comment by urisimchoni on Samba Github repository

https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/27#issuecomment-150909217
Comment:
Let's see...
Seems that:
1. Beside gettext, the only other places where a configurable location is allowed are:
a. ceph/gpfs. Ceph and gpfs are not ordinary system libraries so let's put them aside for the moment.
b. --with-libiconv= - that seems to be a noop, but in a differet way (storing a value in the option and not doing anything with it).
So, unless I'm missing something, the feature of defining a custom dir is not so widespread.

2. The implementation of this feature is quite broken even if the compiler flags do get fixed, because even if you have it in some custom dir, the headers and libs would not normally be under the same dir, they will be in /foo/include, /foo/lib, etc.

3. None complained (?) about this being broken

If all the above is correct, I'm for removing this.