Tunable timeout in cifs module.

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:48:35 UTC 2015

This reconnect discussion should probably be broadened to see how it
would change (the retry/timeout/reconnect) when we are tied into the
(samba, user space) Witness protocol client that Guenther and others
have been experimenting with.  Perhaps ioctls down to cifs.ko from the
witness protocol client can help us in failover more rapidly.
Similarly if we can try different reconnect strategies (if this share
is a dfs referral then we may already have replicas we can quickly
connect to).

See http://www.sambaxp.org/archive_data/SambaXP2015-SLIDES/wed/track1/sambaxp2015-wed-track1-Guenther_Deschner-ImplementingTheWitnessProtocolInSamba.pdf
for some early description of Guenther's work.

--
Thanks,

Steve