Question about things on TODO list

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:05:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM, John Lewis <oflameo2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone started working on these?
>
>   * Support RODC
>   * RFC 2307 in samba-tool
>   * Add cifsfs+rsync interim script for group policy replication

Hi John,

That interim rsync script has been on the list forever.  I think now
that we've got the details on the GP replication protocol, we should
stay away from a stop gap measure that would be "good enough" and
never get replaced.  I looked at it about two years ago or so, but the
amount of domain knowledge and protocol knowledge was more than I
could hope learn and implement cleanly in any reasonable amount of
time.  I'd probably still be working on it.
RODC support has had some work done, but I can't recall who was
looking at that or where they're at with it.  I'm reasonably certain
there's a git branch around somewhere that has parts of the RODC
implemented if it hasn't made it to master yet.

No idea on RFC 2307 in the samba-tool, but that's probably a very
approachable topic if you're familiar with Python.  The best place to
start would be dropping into #samba-technical over on EFNET.  I think
the samba-tool stuff is Jelmer's domain, but I seem to recall a few
people patching it somewhat recently.

There's also an item not on that list that has been getting the bump
from releases since the dawn of the Unix epoch - one way domain
trusts.  That's been on the back burner since around 4.0 if it's
something you're interested in.

That's all I know off the top of my head and I'm not sure that info is
entirely accurate or timely, but a trip over to the IRC channel would
verify or refute this info.  Hope that helps!

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.