PIDL: Problem generating strings without charset parameter

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Oct 14 15:56:23 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 01:19:39PM +0200, Javier Amor Garcia wrote:
> I am using the PIDL generator and I have the problem is that if I remove
> the 'charset' parameter for a string. the generated code is always a
> uint8* types and I want instead to get a 'const char*'.
That is working as intended. If there is no known character set, these
are just raw bytes - as pidl doesn't know using what encoding to interpret them
and convert them to Samba's local character set.

If this is for a field that actually has text in it, what encoding is it in?
If this is for a field that has non-text data, why do you need it to be a "char
*"?

Cheers,

Jelmer