WANTED: A single, good page on starting Samba development

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 7 20:03:49 UTC 2015

G'Day Marc,

Looking over our website, particularly while trying to add references
to github to the right places, I realised we have no real 'start here'
page on Samba development.

I realise it is a massive topic, so what I'm looking for isn't how to
write the C code, or build Samba.

I'm looking for something simpler, and I'm hoping you might have time
to write (and I'll certainly help with) a page with just the starting
steps, without all the noise like we have in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development

We need to cover much of the stuff there, but I would like a simpler
guide like:
 - Your patches need to be to master, so please start there (or re
-apply your work here if you started on a production branch)
 - You need to understand the copyright policy, and sign off your
patches (with links)
 - Here is how to format your commit message (and suggest git commit -s)
 - Here is how to send your patches to the mailing list (git format-patch -1)
or
 - Here is how to push via github

Then perhaps a *short* guide on tidy patches (no rework patches)

What I'm getting at is that the first interaction we have with
contributors is to tell them to fix this stuff up, and we don't make it
clear on any of:

https://devel.samba.org/
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development

We should also stop listing information on the branches we have except
on the release planning page.  The rest is too hard to keep up to date.

Thanks,