Do anyone here have the experience with 64bits compiled Samba on SPARC?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:50:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 06:20:40AM +0100, Jiri Sasek - Solaris Prague wrote:
>> Hi geeks,
>>
>> I have built 64bits Samba and winbindd is receiving the SIGBUS(*)
>>
>> ...on:
>>
>> libsmbconf.so.0`talloc_dict_traverse_fn+0xf0:   ldx [%l2], %l3
>
> The problem is that we don't have SPARC in any way easily
> accessible. If you look at CLANG warnings, there's hundreds
> of alignment problems we potentially have. Fixing all of
> them will be a big challenge, but finding the relevant ones
> would be much easier if we had access to such a box.

I think QEMU supports SPARC enough so that Solaris will run. But it
will be slow, and you might have to resort to older versions of
Solaris since I think the licence changed on 11 and later.
It might be enough to at least test for things that trigger SIGBUS.

I run Linux/PPC64 under QEMU on a 1st generation i3 ultrabook and
while it is slow, it is fast enough for basic compile and
functionality testing. I imagine Sparc would be a similar experience.