smbtorture

Tue Nov 3 19:36:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 10:11:05AM -0800, Herb Lewis wrote:
> I notice smbtorture uses several deprecated or obsolete SMB commands.
> In particular there are a lot of calls to smb_raw_exit which sends an
> SMB_COM_PROCESS_EXIT (0x11). MS-CIFS states that this is obsolete
> and further states
>
> In Core Protocol, open files (identified by FIDs) and any locks on
> those files were considered
> "owned" by the client process. Starting with the LAN Manager 1.0
> dialect, FIDs are no longer
> associated with PIDs. The client MAY allow open file handles to be
> shared between multiple
> processes. CIFS clients SHOULD NOT send SMB_COM_PROCESS_EXIT
> requests. Instead, CIFS
> clients SHOULD perform all process cleanup operations, sending
> individual file close operations as
> needed.
>
> Shouldn't we get rid of all these obsolete calls in smbtorture so we
> are testing what
> clients will really be doing?

We should decide this on a case-by-case basis. In general, I
think if we have working code covered by tests -- why not
keep it working? However, if we change our server-side
structure such that it becomes very hard or impossible to
support certain semantics, we should reconsider this.

Do you have anything special in mind that is blocked by
those tests?

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de