Submodule improvements

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 21 06:45:48 MDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-18 at 20:23 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> This patchset improves our handling of submodules in our build system,
> by preventing developers build with outdated submodules if there are
> any present. This should hopefully address the concerns that Andrew
> raised in the last thread.
>
> While I was there, I also removed support for running Samba from a
> bzr repository rather than Git. I'm pretty sure I was the only who
> ever used that.

Thanks Jelmer,

I've pushed those with my review and then looked with metze to see what
we could do to make this work.  He can speak for himself, but when
demonstrating his concerns to me the major issue that he hit was the
boundary conditions when moving back and forth (such as in a rebase)
over the boundary where a submodule is put into use, with untracked
files appearing.

We did however show that the issues around initialisation of the
submoudle git modules could be handled fairly well by the fact that
submodule objects live in the .git directory, or a helper script for the
original git clone/fetch.

Metze,

Can you write something about the improved update third_party script you
where doing?

Thanks,