Technical Release Manager for Samba

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon May 11 14:47:01 MDT 2015

On 2015-05-11 at 10:11 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 07:22:35AM +0100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > The idea with the technical release manager is that the person who has
> > been delegated the task of ensuring the release is ready technically can
> > weigh up the competing priorities (time, regressions, bugs, features),
> > because the team will be looking to them to lead us all to a timely
> > release.
>
> Samba has many conflicting requirements from the major stakeholders.
> I doubt there is any one person who these stakeholders will agree
> on to rule their priorities 'in' or 'out' of a specific release, so
> I don't think this idea will work.

The main point of all this discussion is imho that when we do
frequent releases at fixed times, and we don't delay any release
any more for any feature to get finished (since there is just
no point .. since the next release will only come X (e.g. X=4)
months later anyways), then there will be no need any more to
prioritize these stakeholders' wishes for releases.
I also don't think that when we have theses clear and strict
rules and cycles, then we don't need the in-charge release manager
any more - is my guess.

> I think it's a good topic to discuss at a Samba Team meeting @ XP
> though !

Absolutley. Maybe even the most important one.

Michael