pytalloc patches

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Mon May 11 09:25:28 MDT 2015

On 05/11/2015 04:42 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 02:56:15PM +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
>> After some off-list discussion with Thomas Nagy about modifications to
>> waf, I am submitting reworked buildsystem/pytalloc patches for another
>> round of review.
>> This version works with a copy of the build environment, so the changes
>> are less invasive.
> Thanks, Petr! This looks much nicer.
>
> One quick question: why does the EXTRAPYTHON need to be version 3.3 or later?
> Would it not be possible to build for python2.6 and 2.7 (say) ?

Python 3.2 introduced ABI tags [0]: the "talloc" module is put in the
file "talloc.so" under Python 2, but "talloc.cpython-34m.so" for Python
3. So as long as the versions are distinct and there's no more than one
py2 build, all the outputs can coexist in a single directory -- in this
case ./bin/python/ that's created during the build.
To support two py2 versions at once I'd need to split that dir, and any
metadata that the buildsystem stores/looks up by filename.

[0] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3149/