unversioned public libraries in Samba (was: Re: ntdb in Samba?)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 16 11:01:14 MDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:51:47PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 01:13:23PM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Before we go and make life difficult for OpenChange, I would ask that we
> > think carefully about if it really is better that we make OpenChange
> > take a pile of Samba and copy it into their own repo?  That may not even
>
> My take on this question would be a bit different: What made it impossible
> for OpenChange to enter a dialogue with us about us properly exporting
> functionality like our RPC subsystem? Why did they have to take our
> source tree and just use internal pieces of it? debug.[ch] is neither
> rocket science nor a particularly beautiful piece of code, so why did
> OpenChange have to use it and thus essentially freeze our possibility
> to easily refactor without causing trouble?

I'm sure they did it because it was convenient for them, just
as we do some (dubious :-) things for convenience.

I don't see any malice behind it, and we are free to change
it at will and apologise when we break them, but it isn't
out fault, and really isn't a big deal :-).

I'm sure their code will get tidier and more cleanly separated
over time, as will ours (if you keep refactoring :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.