unversioned public libraries in Samba

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Mar 16 02:13:00 MDT 2015

Am 16.03.2015 um 09:07 schrieb Michael Adam:
> On 2015-03-16 at 07:57 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

>>> Yes, that is exactly the rule.
>>
>> This will make it practically impossible to refactor
>> internals, but thanks for this information.
>
> The question here is what it means to have a published, or
> as I would even prefer to put it, a versioned API.
>
> My idea from my last mail still stands, that I think that we of
> course can still change and refactor these systems at will, but
> but that we should keep updating the vnum as an indication of
> need for adaption of consumers.
>
> IMHO, that's the only promise attached to that.
> Everything else is pure niceness.

Yes, this is similar to how I handle(d) the dcerpc improvements in the past,
if we know about a specific consumer (OpenChange in the dcerpc case)
it's also nice to inform them about a change when it hits master (or
even before).
So that they have time prepare until the next release will get the change.

metze