ntdb in Samba?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:30:07 MDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 06:01:42PM +0100, Michael Adam wrote:
>> Excellent idea.
>>
>> I also find it regrettable that the proposed git tree has been
>> withdrawn so fast..
>
> My point is that we need a better communication strategy about which
> pieces of Samba we want to take the liberty to change without notice
> and which pieces we stick to.

That should not be very difficult to fix, from a technical standpoint.

A subsystem is either private or public-general-purpose.

If it is private then :
* no public headers should be installed or made available.
* no API/ABI guarantees.
* no external users encouraged/allowed (or you can fork/cut-n-paste
but there are clear warnings that you are very uch on your own if you
use this code outside of samba.)

If it is supposed to be used outside of samba, i.e. public. Then :
* move the code/subsystem/library outside of the samba codebase into a separate
git repo.

The problems only arise when a subsystem is sometimes private and
sometimes public depending on the current needs or circumstances.

> This is the third time in quick succession
> that my patches break external consumers of our internals. The current
> strategy does not work, people just do not know what they can depend
> upon. Until we get better in that, I don't think there is much we can
> afford to do in terms of refactoring.

This I think also has occured a few times with talloc and normal tdb
in the past.