Waf 1.8 (Was: Build pytalloc for two Python versions at once, port to py3)

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 07:13:55 MDT 2015

On 03/13/2015 12:24 AM, Thomas Nagy wrote:

> There are new changes in the Waf files that deviate even further from
> waf 1.5.

All changes are to wafsamba, except one patch that is already in
upstream Waf 1.5:
https://code.google.com/p/waf/source/detail?r=a3a823919592c8dafb629579323fc7ef638302a2&repo=waf15

> Unless you want to maintain that Waf 1.5 fork forever, I
> strongly recommend to focus on waf 1.8 instead. Waf 1.8 has better
> support for building targets for other python versions, already
> supports python3 and provides better configuration default for Redhat
> systems.

Can Waf 1.8 build for both Python versions at the same time?

> I have prepared a proof of concept that builds the branch "master"
> using Waf 1.8; I believe that about half of the work is done. The
> differences are very too large to be attached as raw patches, so I
> have added them as one archive instead:
> http://ftp.waf.io/pub/developer/tnagy/samba_patches.tgz.gpg
> (extract with:  gpg -d -o samba_patches.tgz samba_patches.tgz.gpg)
>
> I could provide some help to complete the port; for this we would need
> at least a branch running on the buildfarm and some plans to avoid
> premature bitrot.

For what my opinion is worth, I believe updating to waf 1.8 will be
necessary eventually, but I think it can be the last thing before Samba
switches completely to Python 3.

--
Petr Viktorin