Samba 4.2 DNS forwarding issue

bogdan_bartos admin at blackpenguin.org
Mon Mar 9 17:26:58 MDT 2015

Hi guys,

I've been using Samba 4.2 on Fedora x64 for a few days and it's been great.
However, after a system upgrade, the DNS forwarding stopped working. I can
see the samba shares from a Windows machine logged in as administrator, but
it does not forward the DNS queries. The firewall is open. I've been digging
for an answer and I think the kerberos went broken.

kinit
kinit: Cannot find KDC for realm "AD.DOMAIN.ORG" while getting initial
credentials

The /etc/krb5.conf looks ok like this:
[libdefaults]
	default_realm = AD.DOMAIN.ORG
	dns_lookup_realm = false
	dns_lookup_kdc = true

Also the /etc/resolv.conf looks ok:
domain ad.domain.org
nameserver 10.0.0.250
nameserver 10.0.0.1

The smb.conf file is also ok:
[global]
	workgroup = BPDNET
	realm = AD.DOMAIN.ORG
	netbios name = AD
	dns forwarder = 10.0.0.1

I do not know how to make kerberos work again.

These are the installed RPMs that relate to kerberos on the machine with the
issue - I do not know why I have the i686 package installed!

krb5-workstation-1.12.2-9.fc21.x86_64
krb5-devel-1.12.2-9.fc21.x86_64
krb5-libs-1.12.2-9.fc21.i686
sssd-krb5-1.12.4-1.fc21.x86_64