GSOC 2015 Aspirant for Improving SMB3 protocol improvements

Saket Sinha saket.sinha89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:45:32 MST 2015

Hi,

I am looking forward to paticipate in GSOC 2015 with Samba community for
Improving SMB3 protocol improvements.

This is to discuss the idea further in order to build my understanding of
the project.

The TODOs listed here show the following -

   1. Support for using multiple network interfaces at once under the same
   mount (SMB3 multichannel)
   2. Improved directory and metadata caching ("directory oplocks")
   3. Improved failover in clustering environments ("persistent file
   handles" and more generally SMB3 "continuous availability" support)
   4. File copy offload (there are multiple server side copy mechanisms
   possible with SMB3, T10 copy offload, SMB2/SMB3 "copy chunk" as well as an
   older cifs mechanism "SMB Copy" that could be implemented, compared and
   optimized).
   5. HA availability improvements on server and/or client (the SMB3
   "Witness protocol")

 I would like to be guided which one I should pick up to get started.

 I know I can get the documentation about these improvements from  WSPP and
since they  have implementations in current Windows clients and servers
already,  I would also be able test them with Linux side code that I would
be developing.

Regards,
Saket Sinha