Hangs !!! Accessing fuse filesystem in Windows through Samba

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:05:29 MST 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Raj Kumar Sanpui
<raj.kumar.sanpui at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks for the response.
> I added these parameters to our smb.conf, and also as Richarde and Miklos
> (the fuse developer) suggested, moved the blocking part from open( ) to
> read( ), but with no difference in behaviour, now i am afraid if these aio
> parameters added (as shown below) are really working.
> I checked the Samba log (log.smbd) in /var/log/samba/, but could not get any
> clue.
>
> Is there any way to find out, if the new parameters added for AIO are really
> working?
>
> {{{
> [FUSEAArchive]
>         comment = Fuse Archive File System
>         path = /opt/myinsite/fuse-mount/ifm
>         read only = No
>         case sensitive = yes
>         public = yes
>         writeable = yes
>         create mask=0777
>         guest ok = Yes
>         aio read size = 0
>         aio write size = 0
>         aio write behind = /*/
>
> }}}
>
> Here are my Samba version:
>       # rpm -qa | grep samba
>             samba-32bit-3.6.3-0.18.3
>             yast2-samba-client-2.17.21-0.5.186
>             yast2-samba-server-2.17.13-0.7.5
>             samba-client-32bit-3.6.3-0.18.3
>             samba-3.3.4-0.1.146
>              samba-client-3.3.4-0.1.146

Whoa, what is it with all these people still running Samba 3.6.3.

That version does not support the aio open parameter.

My next suggestion is that you don't wait for the whole file to
transfer but start responding to read requests once you have enough
data.

Either that or shift to a more modern version of Samba, but even there
there is a limit to how long you can hold off Windows, I believe.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe