Reg printer access problem in Windows 8.1

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:44:05 MST 2015

On 23/02/15 07:24, hari.krishnamoorthy at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have samba server version 2.2.12 running in our gateway device to which a printer is connected via USB.
>
>  From a LAN Host running Windows 8.1 connected to gateway, if we try to connect to the printer by giving in run command \\MODEMTELECOM\ HP_LASERJET_PROFESSIONAL_P_1102W<file:///\\MODEMTELECOM\%20HP_LASERJET_PROFESSIONAL_P_1102W>, there is no response from the gateway.
>
> This issue happens only in Windows 8.1 but not in Windows 7 or XP.
>
> Further, smbd process hogs the system after this problem happens due to which we are not able to access the gateway's GUI.
>
> Please let me know what is going wrong between Windows 8.1 and samba server.
>
> If further info is needed, please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Hari
>
> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Hi, you could try upgrading from a 10 year old version of samba, if
there is something intrinsic that is stopping your setup working, I do
not think you will not get the problem fixed. I would suggest you
upgrade to a 4.1 version, 3.6 will go EOL when 4.2 comes out and 4.0
will go into security fixes only, 4.2 could come out this week (but I
not holding my breath ;-) )

Rowland