Backup privileges for reading files

Shilpa K shilpa.krishnareddy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 07:16:33 MDT 2015

Hello,

A backup application is trying to read files/directories as part of backup.
This is being done in the context of a user who is a member of
BUILTIN\backup operators group in Samba. Application is
requesting FILE_READ_DATA access and as the user has no explicit read
access for the directory/file, it is failing with access denied. I see that
only share security check is bypassed for a member of backup operators
group while read access is required for reading files even if the user is a
member of backup operators group. Can you please let me know if this is by
design?

Thanks,
Shilpa