Exchange Setup + Missing LDAP Control + Crowdfunding?

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:58:35 MDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 03:20:46PM +0200, Stefan Gohmann wrote:
>

>> I've tested Exchange 2013 SP1 against Samba 4 (4.2.0). After some issues
>> with the remote schema installation, it basically seems to work now.
>> That's really cool, because Exchange does a lot of changes. ;)
>>
>> After the first reboot of the Windows Server, Exchange is asking the
>> Samba 4 LDAP endless. I've investigated the issue and it seems that a
>> LDAP control is missing in Samba 4.
>>
>> >From the log file:
>> ldb: ldb_trace_request: SEARCH
>> dn: CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft
>> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=exchange,DC=intranet
>> scope: sub
>> expr: (objectClass=*)
>> attr: distinguishedName
>> attr: objectGuid
>> attr: objectClass
>> attr: lastKnownParent
>> attr: isDeleted
>> control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.528 crit:1 data:no
>> control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.417 crit:1 data:no
>> control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.7165.4.3.17 crit:0 data:no
>> [...]
>> ldb: ldb_trace_response: DONE
>> error: 12
>> msg: Attempt to use critical non-registered control
>> '1.2.840.113556.1.4.528'
>>
>> So, I guess the LDAP control LDAP_SERVER_NOTIFICATION_OID
>> (1.2.840.113556.1.4.528) is not implemented in Samba 4:
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223353.aspx
>>
>> As far as I understand the Samba code it would be possible to implement
>> it but it would take some time.
>>
>> Unfortunately, we here at Univention don't have the possibility to
>> implement it by ourselves, at least at the moment. However, we could
>> give some money to help implementing it, but I guess we are unable to
>> finance the whole work. So, maybe there are others who also could
>> finance a part?
>>
>> I've also seen the crowdfunding idea in the slides of Marc Muehlfeld
>> (Samba User Survey 2015):
>> https://www.samba.org/~mmuehlfeld/SambaXP_2015.pdf
>>
>> I know that this is not so easy because a lot of you are working in
>> their free time at the project and a lot of tasks have to be done
>> without being visible. It also raises a lot of other questions for the
>> Samba team. However, I hope it is OK to ask about it.
>>
>> So my questions:
>
> My personal feelings (not an official Samba Team answer):
>
>> - Is something like crowdfunding possible for the Samba team?
>
> Yes, but not via "the Samba Team". Crowdfunding via individual
> companies or engineers is certainly possible - product of which
> will be reviewed and merged in the normal way of any Team member
> created or thirdparty code.
>
> I.e. This isn't something I think "The Samba Team" should manage
> on your behalf - but something you manage and then get upstreamed.
>
>> - Is the mailing list the right place to ask about supporters or
>> developers for a crowdfunding task?
>
> Sure, certainly seems the right place to discuss IMHO.
>
> Jeremy.

Hi Stefan,
I don't know the politics of it (which is why I can brazenly speak of
such things - I'm useful in the office that way as well. ;) but I know
there's a bit of overlap between the Samba and OpenChange or
OpenXChange teams via at least one route.  Apparently Likewise was
bought by EMC and after trying to parse the corporate speak... I have
no idea what they do, but apparently they do it with, now defunct,
3Ware.

Anyways, the tie in is that Jerry Carter, formerly of the Samba Team,
worked on their Exchange protocol stuff and also happened to write
O'Reilly's book on LDAP.  He might be someone worth reaching out to as
well for suggestions on whom to speak with or what community resources
are available.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.