Exchange Setup + Missing LDAP Control + Crowdfunding?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jun 15 13:39:58 MDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 03:20:46PM +0200, Stefan Gohmann wrote:

> I've tested Exchange 2013 SP1 against Samba 4 (4.2.0). After some issues
> with the remote schema installation, it basically seems to work now.
> That's really cool, because Exchange does a lot of changes. ;)
>
> After the first reboot of the Windows Server, Exchange is asking the
> Samba 4 LDAP endless. I've investigated the issue and it seems that a
> LDAP control is missing in Samba 4.
>
> >From the log file:
> ldb: ldb_trace_request: SEARCH
> dn: CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft
> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=exchange,DC=intranet
> scope: sub
> expr: (objectClass=*)
> attr: distinguishedName
> attr: objectGuid
> attr: objectClass
> attr: lastKnownParent
> attr: isDeleted
> control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.528 crit:1 data:no
> control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.417 crit:1 data:no
> control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.7165.4.3.17 crit:0 data:no
> [...]
> ldb: ldb_trace_response: DONE
> error: 12
> msg: Attempt to use critical non-registered control
> '1.2.840.113556.1.4.528'
>
> So, I guess the LDAP control LDAP_SERVER_NOTIFICATION_OID
> (1.2.840.113556.1.4.528) is not implemented in Samba 4:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223353.aspx
>
> As far as I understand the Samba code it would be possible to implement
> it but it would take some time.
>
> Unfortunately, we here at Univention don't have the possibility to
> implement it by ourselves, at least at the moment. However, we could
> give some money to help implementing it, but I guess we are unable to
> finance the whole work. So, maybe there are others who also could
> finance a part?
>
> I've also seen the crowdfunding idea in the slides of Marc Muehlfeld
> (Samba User Survey 2015):
> https://www.samba.org/~mmuehlfeld/SambaXP_2015.pdf
>
> I know that this is not so easy because a lot of you are working in
> their free time at the project and a lot of tasks have to be done
> without being visible. It also raises a lot of other questions for the
> Samba team. However, I hope it is OK to ask about it.
>
> So my questions:

My personal feelings (not an official Samba Team answer):

> - Is something like crowdfunding possible for the Samba team?

Yes, but not via "the Samba Team". Crowdfunding via individual
companies or engineers is certainly possible - product of which
will be reviewed and merged in the normal way of any Team member
created or thirdparty code.

I.e. This isn't something I think "The Samba Team" should manage
on your behalf - but something you manage and then get upstreamed.

> - Is the mailing list the right place to ask about supporters or
> developers for a crowdfunding task?

Sure, certainly seems the right place to discuss IMHO.

Jeremy.