Exchange Setup + Missing LDAP Control + Crowdfunding?

Stefan Gohmann gohmann at univention.de
Fri Jun 12 07:20:46 MDT 2015

Hi Samba Developers,

I've tested Exchange 2013 SP1 against Samba 4 (4.2.0). After some issues
with the remote schema installation, it basically seems to work now.
That's really cool, because Exchange does a lot of changes. ;)

After the first reboot of the Windows Server, Exchange is asking the
Samba 4 LDAP endless. I've investigated the issue and it seems that a
LDAP control is missing in Samba 4.

>From the log file:
ldb: ldb_trace_request: SEARCH
dn: CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=exchange,DC=intranet
scope: sub
expr: (objectClass=*)
attr: distinguishedName
attr: objectGuid
attr: objectClass
attr: lastKnownParent
attr: isDeleted
control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.528 crit:1 data:no
control: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.417 crit:1 data:no
control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.7165.4.3.17 crit:0 data:no
[...]
ldb: ldb_trace_response: DONE
error: 12
msg: Attempt to use critical non-registered control
'1.2.840.113556.1.4.528'

So, I guess the LDAP control LDAP_SERVER_NOTIFICATION_OID
(1.2.840.113556.1.4.528) is not implemented in Samba 4:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223353.aspx

As far as I understand the Samba code it would be possible to implement
it but it would take some time.

Unfortunately, we here at Univention don't have the possibility to
implement it by ourselves, at least at the moment. However, we could
give some money to help implementing it, but I guess we are unable to
finance the whole work. So, maybe there are others who also could
finance a part?

I've also seen the crowdfunding idea in the slides of Marc Muehlfeld
(Samba User Survey 2015):
https://www.samba.org/~mmuehlfeld/SambaXP_2015.pdf

I know that this is not so easy because a lot of you are working in
their free time at the project and a lot of tasks have to be done
without being visible. It also raises a lot of other questions for the
Samba team. However, I hope it is OK to ask about it.

So my questions:
- Is something like crowdfunding possible for the Samba team?
- Is the mailing list the right place to ask about supporters or
developers for a crowdfunding task?

Thanks,
Stefan

--