Anybody got windows 10 working with our classic DC / need to migrate to samba4?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Jun 2 12:24:26 MDT 2015

Hello Andrew,

Am 02.06.2015 um 09:55 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> Just checking if anybody has Samba's classic DC functioning with Windows
> 10 domain member clients?  In particular, I'm interested in any tests
> with git master or 4.2.
>
> I'm not talking about samba4 DCs (our AD DC), but with the NT4-like
> mode.
>
> The reason I ask is that I've got reports it doesn't work, and I've
> checked with Microsoft who basically say 'NT4 support ended years ago'.
> Certainly the current effort was the result of a special favour, and
> these things (rightly) do expire.

I setup a Samba NT4 PDC it in my test environment with Samba 4.2.1 and
Win10 TP Build 9926:

First, the two registry keys are required to add/set like done since
Win7
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Registry_changes_for_NT4-style_domains).

Then you join the domain + reboot.

But if you try to login now, it is denied ("...no logon servers..."). To
workaround this, I needed to set "max protocol = NT1" in smb.conf. This
allows the Win10 box to login to the Samba NT4 domain.

What was interesting is, that if the Win10 client has once successfully
logged into the NT4 domain, you can remove the "max protocol" line and
let this parameter on it's default. All further logins I have tried -
even after a reboot - worked then.

Ping me in IRC if you want to have a deeper look at this and require
logs, etc.

Regards,
Marc