Screwed my Fedora 21 system removing the Samba packages

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 01:10:15 MDT 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 01:36:01PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wanted to remove the installed packages to run a locally built
> version of Samba but now my Cinnamon desktop is gone and X will not
> start.
>
> How do I recover from that?

Typically some desktop components use/require libsmbclient. If you
removed this package as well re-installing it or putting the locally
build libsmbclient.so.0 and libsmbsharemodes.so.0 in the default search
path or creating a file like /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local-samba.conf with the
path where your local build installed the libraries might help.

HTH

bye,
Sumit