Demote Windows Server and promote Samba

bogdan_bartos admin at blackpenguin.org
Thu Jul 30 15:38:25 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I asked this before, but I did not get an answer. Is it possible to demote a
Windows PDC and promote a Samba server as PDC? I understand that the PDC has
the FSMO roles enables. What is the exact process in this case? I suppose
you need to join the Windows domain with samba4 and let it replicate. Sync
the sysvol, then you need to activate the FSMO roles in samba and promote it
as PDC.

I would need step by step instructions with commands. This would also make a
great entry in the samba tutorial since most of the people will actually
want to replace a Windows PDC with a Samba PDC.