NTLMSSP in SMB

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 14:42:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Sarat G <sarath.ginjupalli89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Few months back, as a part of my project I have been into SMB and Samba
> Code. In my scenario I'm using NTLMV2 for authentication. I read in
> microsoft specs and everywhere that NTLM hashed are strong enough. Being a
> post graduate in Information Security, it's easy for me to understand that.
> So, here my question is like suppose if I want suggest some things to NTLM,
> whom should I have to contact.
> Because I have few things in mind that, why can't they negotiate hash
> algorithms also in NTLMSSP if they much about the use of week MD4 in
> NTLMSSP.
> I have been worked on this for a month, and come up with my suggestions to
> make NTLM much secure.
> Can some let me the know point of contact for these kind of things, if
> Samba team like to here more from I'm happy to share my thoughts.
> I'm not this is the right platform to ask this question, kindly ignore this
> if you feel it's irrelevant here.
> Thank You.

You could try the dochelp mailing list that Microsoft provides as a
start. dochelp at microsoft.com.

There are also some (one?) Microsoft employee who posts to this
mailing list, however, given that they use Kerberos in Active
Directory and NTLM is now a legacy for them I suspect that that ship
has sailed.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe