Removing tombstone reanimation

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 10 20:27:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 23:18 +0300, Kamen Mazdrashki wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-05-31 at 02:12 +0300, Kamen Mazdrashki wrote:
> >> Hi Andrew,
> >>
> >> Could you please take a look at attached patch - it disables
> >> tombstone_reanimation module.
> >> It is still compiled, but skips registration and I have also removed it
> >> from the list of dsdb modules.
> >> Running tombstone_reanimation test fails nicely :)
> >
> > Kamen,
> >
> > I've reviewed this and am pushing it now.  We next need to try and
> > re-add the dbcheck tests as not flapping, and remove
> > tombstone_reanimation as falpping so when we put this back it is a real
> > test.
> >
> > I did this now because we need dbcheck tests back for 4.3, and we need
> > to ensure tombstone_reanimation isn't an accidental feature of 4.3 until
> > we fix it.
> >
> > Do you have any plan for how to resolve this?  I feel really bad about
> > removing the hard work you did here, it would really be great to have
> > this back!
>
> Frankly said, I don't understand what is the relation with dbcheck tests.
> I thought it is tombstone_reanimation and deleted_objects flapping test's fault
> (sorry for remaining silent for so long).
> I will be happy to help bringing tombsone_reanimation back again, I just
> need to know what to chase - dbcheck failures or tombstone_reanimation
> failing occasionally.

It is probably all inter-related, because they test the same thing -
that the DN is the expected DN.  That is:
 - dbcheck detects that the DN and name don't end up correctly matching
 - the deleted_objects and tombstone reanimations tests confim that the
DN is as we expect after conflict resolution

The bug may well be in the repl_meta_data deleted object conflict
resolution handling.

I strongly suspect that once you fix the runtime tests, that the dbcheck
test will be OK, or in the inverse, that the dbcheck test failure data
might be enough to understand what is going wrong at runtime.

I hope this helps,